Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Canvas Storage Boxes DIY


When I was doing my Bathroom Overhaul in my previous post I realized that I really needed some place to put all the extra stuff I had under my sink. This is how many different baby bath bottles I have! Seriously, this will be one clean lavender-smelling baby!

It might not look like a lot but the one with the yellow cap weighs almost two pounds alone. It's a lot of product, trust me.

On Pinterest I have seen many a fabric covered diaper box and I knew I had to try it and I was just waiting for the right opportunity. Well it came knocking on my door today! I have diaper boxes of all different sizes. The first thing is to cut off the top flaps with a box cutter, carefully. I always use what I have lying around, and I happened to have a canvas drop cloth so voila-

You can see that one of them has a bottom inside and completely lined. I did that one first and I used just hot glue, but I really didn't like the process and it was not fun to have to cut it all out to size and whatnot... my baby only sleeps so long at a time and I needed a faster solution. Tape! I grabbed some packing tape and away we went. Merrily taping a panel to each side of the boxes, tucking the tops and bottoms over and taping those down as well. I even managed nice pretty edges too!

They probably could've used a mini date with the iron, but I didn't feel like it. To get the seem I did the larger two sides first, taping them all over. Then on the two smaller sides I folded the edges under and just taped the top and the bottom, pulling tightly so it would stay, and it did!


This box of bath stuff lives here in my closet now. I know the boxes are plain, and they do look okay that way, but I plan on adding labels and/or ribbon or some sore of decoration when I get around to it, but for now it works and it was a simple, free, and quick project!


The tape was much more fun than hot glue! I used like 4 mini glue sticks just for one box. No bueno. With the tape I zipped through the rest of my boxes in like 30 minutes. And without doing the insides I was able to do 5 boxes already with fabric still leftover! Here is one box for lovie's closet with his shorts.




Happy boxing!

xo JC




No comments:

Post a Comment