Thursday, January 31, 2013

Parsnip Baby Food in the Ninja!


Hello!

If you couldn't already tell I love making my own things instead of buying them, anything to save money, and I especially love making baby food. It is so cheap and easy I don't know why everyone doesn't do it! I have found that it is cheaper to make veggies than fruits (it would cost more to make baby food prunes than it would be to buy them) but I do make some fruits too.

Anyways, today I made some parsnip baby food. We had some parsnips that my mom bought and I only used three or four to make 7 containers of baby food!

Here's how I did it:

  1. Wash, Peel, and Cut 3 or 4 parsnips
  2. Place in microwave-save bowl (or use steamer on stove top) and cover.
  3. Fill with about 2 cups of water- I just eyeball it.
  4. Cook until tender.
  5. Pour about 1 cup of the water (or however much you like) into your blender, and then put the parsnips in.
  6. Blend until smooth, adding extra water if necessary.
  7. That's it!
 I used my Ninja that lovie bought me last year. He bought it specifically for this reason so I can't let him down of course.

I filled 7 containers with yummy parsnips. I did try them and actually had to stop myself from eating more! When they were mashed like this and warm they tasted like a white sweet potato. And that was without any seasonings. Nature is the best! The containers I used are the Gerber plastic baby food containers (lids not pictured) that I had lying around from prunes and other ones that I've purchased. Not sure if they can be frozen so I put these babies in the fridge.

I can't wait to experiment with all kinds of fruits and veggies. There's no need to be limited by what fruits and veggies are on the shelf in the baby isle. Use what is available at the farmer's market or what is in season. =)

 xo JC

No comments:

Post a Comment