Friday, May 17, 2013

Homemade Edible Finger Paint

Hello again.

I knew for Erik's first Father's Day I wanted to do some homemade art of some sort from little man and I found this recipe for homemade edible finger paint and thought it looked easy enough to try.


In the link I shared she is right that when you first pour the water into the corn starch it seems like it will not work out to be paint, but as you keep stirring it magically turns into a thicker sticky paste which is perfect for little kiddo finger paint.


I'm not sure how but I ended with with a lot of paint mixture. I need to find some little-handed friends to give some finger paint to before it goes bad.










Little man had a fun time with the paint, even if it only lasted 10 minutes haha. He really liked squishing it in his fingers and wasn't too sure why I was trying to get him to put his hand on the paper, but we made it work.

He did put the paint in his mouth (and all over his high chair), which I expected, but he didn't like it very much so it wasn't like he was actually trying to eat it.

Notice my old T-shirt and hair pulled back attire for the morning- I had no idea how much of a mess I would be dealing with. It really wasn't too bad though. He was really into squishing it and thankfully didn't have a fit and throw it all across the room. In due time I guess.


My original plan was to have him paint on the box itself and paint on paper so I could cup it up and use it as the lining for the care package, but once I saw the cute first artwork I got all choked up and couldn't bring myself to do it so one went promptly on the fridge and the other two went unharmed into daddy's care package for Father's Day. Once it was on the fridge, I stepped back and smiled and oohed and ahhed and then thought to myself, "Oh no! It's happening. I'm 'that' mom!" Lol. I know he won't even remember and didn't even know what was going on, but you can't help what things are special and what things about being a mom make you tear up and making his first finger painting I guess is something that rendered as special to me =). 

We barely used any of the paint so there is still a ton left so hopefully we can find a friend to share it with and make some more art before it goes bad. I'm not sure how long it lasts but it didn't take that long to make nor was it costly so I guess even if we got one use out of it before I have to throw it away that's fine with me.

xo JC

No comments:

Post a Comment